SCIENCE & MATHS QUIZ
The Great Scientist
1. State the birth place of Albert Einstein.
2. State one of the awards that Albert Einstein received.
3. State the real name of Avicenna.
4. State one of Avicenna’s science contributions.
5. In Western, he is known as Rhazes. State his official name.
6. State one of the science contributions of Al-Khindi.
The Great Mathematician
1. Name only 5 Greatest Mathematicians of All Time.
2. Sir Issac New is famous for 3 laws. What are those?
3. He made advances in number theory, algebra, and analysis, but is most renowned for his many theorems of plane and solid geometry. He also discovered formulae for the volume and surface area of a sphere, and may even have been first to notice and prove the simple relationship between a circle's circumference and area. Who is he?
4. Srinivasa Ramanujan, one of the Greatest Mathematicians was a self-taught prodigy who lived in a country distant from his mathematical peers, and suffered from poverty, childhood dysentery and vitamin deficiencies probably led to his early death. Ramanujan's specialties included infinite series, elliptic functions, continued fractions, partition enumeration, definite integrals, modular equations, gamma functions, "mock theta" functions, hypergeometric series, and "highly composite" numbers. When did he born and died? Where does he originated from?
5. These number series 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, ....which is now linked with the name Fibonacci. Which Mathematician found this series of numbers?
6. Pythagoras became the most influential of early Greek mathematicians. He is credited with being first to use c2 = a2 + b2 formula. He is sometimes called the "______________________" and once said "_______________________."
7. He invented the horary quadrant, improved the sundial , developed trigonometry tables , and improved on Ptolemy's astronomy and geography. He wrote the book Al-Jabr, which demonstrated simple algebra and geometry. Who is he?
8. Omar Khayyam clever work with geometry, developing an alternate to Euclid's Parallel Postulate and then deriving the parallel result using theorems based on the Khayyam-Saccheri quadrilateral. He emphasized science over religion and proved that the Earth rotates around the Sun. He may have been first to develop the ________________________ and _____________________________.
9. The man in the picture below was a phenomenal genius whose work was exceptionally deep, creative and rigorous. He made revolutionary contributions in many areas of pure mathematics. He introduced the clarifying notion of the Riemann integral. His masterpieces include differential geometry, tensor analysis and the theory of functions. His Hypothesis "simply" states that in all solutions of ζ(s = a+bi) = 0. What is the name of the Mathematician in the picture below?
10. Where did modern decimal numbers originated from?
* Please give your answers in soft copy and send it through your subject teacher or send to email@example.com.... :-)